I war-2 revamp unity 3d

Home Forums 3D Modeling I war-2 revamp unity 3d

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    RichardSkinner
    Participant

Yeah I’ve moved on as well for now.

Right now I am building a scene in unity and using the HDTV star map files from the downloads as reference for all my distances. going to start some full scale testing on navigation. I hope I can get something working. Maybe I will post a unity build for people to test and try to break.

I am trying to factor down the distances as much as humanly possible, 1 unity unit = 10,000km, except around where traffic spawns, then its 1:1

The Priceline Negotiator

RichardSkinner
    Participant

man, I want to sit down and work on some flight mechanics but at the same time I totally wanna sit down and player through EOC one more time lol

Whats the best mod to use nowadays that people are using that doesn’t totally change the game (like torn stars or Babylon 5)

I played unleashed, elite, and expert before, all have things I love about them, but all of them have things that kinda bug me and I go in them and try to change things and ultimately break them so I can’t finish the game.

I think the unleashed is one of my favs because it spreads the most tech out but whenever I see ships that are supposed to have turret fighters, they just end up having empty pylons with no weapons on them. idk if that’s just me or if anyone else cant get the A.I. turret fighters to work right?

anywho, what do people fly with when they don’t want to fly vanilla?

The Priceline Negotiator

Chessking
    Participant

Sounds like you’ve done almost everything. The only thing I can think of is what I posted in the “What other games are you playing now?” thread, page five. I listed all of the mods that may be able to be run at the same time. Subtract Elite from those if you want, since you’ve played it before, and difficulty shouldn’t be to different form the regular game. Anyways, that’s my suggestion.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don’t give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

RichardSkinner
    Participant

woo nav testing!

Attachments:
    • navtesting.jpg

The Priceline Negotiator

Chessking
    Participant

Cambrogal just made a post in the 3D models topic. He has a link to a website with converted file formats for the resource folder. At the lowest level of the site, Cambrogal says this:

This update adds all the converted textures and models in the unzipped resource folder. The models are in a modern LWO format and contain working UVs. Conversion back to pso objects will require Jaspers conversion tools.

I’m not sure, but I think working UV’s is what we need to get textures working properly in Blender/3DMax/Unity.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don’t give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

IronDuke
    Participant

IFF textures, sweet! Might be just what’s needed. I was planning on using the I-War2 ship models as standins during development of my space game, and also ’cause it’s funny, for some reason.

–IronDuke

I-War 2 Discord: https://discord.gg/RWaabWB
    Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. 🙂

Chessking
    Participant

Test the Phoenix by having it fight a Dreadnaught. 😛

Storm Petrel

Chessking
    Participant

I found a program called IrfanView. It can open RAW and IFF files. It can not edit them, but can convert into JPEG. These files can be converted back into RAW but not IFF.

Storm Petrel

IronDuke
    Participant

[quote=”Chessking” post=19586]Test the Phoenix by having it fight a Dreadnaught. :P[/quote]

Actually, the Phoenix could clobber two Dreadnaughts… 👿 It’s considerably more powerful because my space game is in the 26th century, so the tech is a couple hundred years ahead. It would have trouble with a heavy Navy destroyer though.

–IronDuke

I-War 2 Discord: https://discord.gg/RWaabWB
    Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. 🙂

RichardSkinner
    Participant

Did you download those avatars Chessking? I can’t figure out how.. Do I need to install one of those repository programs or something?

Even so, I just finished painstakingly converting all the usible models from the game to .fbx and put them in unity… i don’t think I want to go through that again :sick:

The Priceline Negotiator

Chessking
    Participant

For convenience, here is the link to the page Cambrogal posted:
    https://development.torn-stars.com/unstablespace/browser/tornstars/resource/avatars?order=name
    You cannot download entire folders as far as I know, but you can download individual files. Just follow the tree down as far as it will go, and there will be a download option (except for the .lws files, which can be copy/pasted into Notepad and saved as an .lws, I believe).

Also, I think I may have figured out why you got the black noise when trying to open a .RAW with Photoshop. I double checked, and you need to convert the .ftu’s to RAW instead of the .ftc’s. In fact, you may need to delete the .ftc’s to keep them from interfering with the .iff’s once the RAWs have been converted into .iff format. I tried to open an .ftc and it matched your description.

Storm Petrel

RichardSkinner
    Participant

So my original idea (for making Hoffers Wake in a single unity scene) turned out to be rubbish. the parenting thing didn’t work so I fell back on this script that moves the world around the player, which works just fine, but the editor won’t zoom out far enough to give me the accuracy when placing the visitible locations. Some stations can be very close togeather or close to planets and im not able to represent that acuratly, I need a better way.

So I am playing with a few other ideas, One of which is that the imediate area around a station would be a seperate scene. Which I don’t fully understand how I would do that yet..

And another is when you get close to a station, it will spawn spawn a larger zone around it for the player to navigate in while the positions of orbital bodies are attached to the player so they dont appear to be moving towards/away. That is way easier to explain by scribbling on a napkin then posting in a fourm.

but the good news is I got the auto pilot approach working pretty well. Once I develope all the autopilots then it should make A.I. ship navigation a breeze.

because I have been working on mostley scripts I have nothing cool to show, but I will post this pick of a nova heavy cruiser from inside the cockpit just because why not :side:

Attachments:
    • cockpit.jpg

The Priceline Negotiator

Chessking
    Participant

Just a quick comment: you’re backgrounds look really good.

Storm Petrel

RichardSkinner
    Participant

Thanks! I actually got it from the asset store, part of a pack, it was $5. They need some tweaking thought because you can see seems as you fly around.

And it has planets and suns in it that I need to erase, all the planets and suns will be physical locations in game so I cant have any painted into the background.

The Priceline Negotiator

Chessking
    Participant

What is especially interesting to me is that the nebulas don’t look like they are part of the background, built into the skybox. In Independence War and other space games, It looks more painted on and solid.

Storm Petrel

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.