I war-2 revamp unity 3d

Home Forums 3D Modeling I war-2 revamp unity 3d

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    IronDuke
    Participant

The various models for the game are in resource.zip, avatars, respective folders, .pso format. If you want the collision models, although I can’t see why since they’re so low poly, they’re in resource.zip, collisionhulls. The collision models are strangely already in .lwo format. :blink:

To convert the .pso files (the 3d models) you need the reverse engineered converter. Particle Systems made a special converter to convert from lwo. to pso during development, but some clever guy reverse engineered it. It’s on this page:

https://pointless.net/eoc/
    The file you want is psotools.zip.

Simply click and drag any .pso to the pso2lwo.exe, and it should automatically convert. You can then import the lwo. to Blender, using Blender’s import menu.
    Have fun!

–IronDuke

P.S. If your OS or antivirus freaks out about the file, tell it to shut up. 😛 It’s safe; just isn’t downloaded often.

P.P.S. The textures are in the same locations as the models, but I’ve never been able to open one correctly, so can’t really help there.

I-War 2 Discord: https://discord.gg/RWaabWB
    Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. 🙂

Chessking
    Participant

Wow. Everything I needed. Thank you so much. Now I can put I-War ships in Unity, and build my own models for I-War. By the way, I can help with textures. You will need either Photoshop or PaintShopPro X7 (ultimate?). Both of these are paid, but there are free trials. After downloading a trial, you will be subscribed to the newsletter, and you can buy ultimate for as low as $54 when it is on a good sale, and the regular version for less. You may also be able to find older versions for cheaper on Amazon. I know, I prefer free stuff too. But I am seriously considering buying this someday, since I continuously run into situations where it would be helpful. Here is more information including what I have already given you.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don’t give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

RichardSkinner
    Participant

those textures from the game are painfully small. 256 square. I would love to get my hands on the original high res working files they must have used before they crushed them down to put in engine.

I came accross a possible solution for traveling through space in a realistic way in a single scene. I am posting it here because it seems too simple to work and I wan’t to see how fast someone can shoot it down.

But basically you have a huge ass scene (25,000km wide, which can be faked to appear to be 25 billion in game or whatever) but have it broken down into the smaller sectors where everytime the player crosses into one, they become a child of it, resetting its position origin to the origin of the “sector” instead of the entire scene.

So as the player, you could be flying around 25k km from the origin of the scene,
    but being the child of a nearby empty game object, your coordinates are less then 1000 so you wont run into any floating point precision issues and your not needing to move the world instead of the player or anything crazy.

I need to figure this out because everthing else, like how the LDS and planets/moons are built will pretty much depend on it.

The Priceline Negotiator

Chessking
    Participant

After I turned off my computer for the night, I remembered the “Fun with PSO” topic. When I read through that, I didn’t know what a PSO was, and didn’t catch what was going on. However, I did see some screenshots of ship models in other programs, giving me the idea it was possible. Also, since I can open I-War models in Blender, I can make accurate paper models of ships, since I can use the vertex coordinates. A while back I made a program that calculates the distance between two three-dimensional points, so that should make things easier. I expect I will need Paint Shop Pro to texture the ship.

In reply to Richard Skinner: I will actually be dealing with a similar problem with distances on my 2-D version of I-War. What I plan to do is have several regions around stations, planets, and L-points. Each of these has its own world coordinates. Coordinates for ships within the region are translated to local coordinates, for easier measurement of location, distance, etc. between objects. This is mostly to simplify the numbers associated with travelling large distances.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don’t give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

Chessking
    Participant

The link to pointless.net hasn’t been working for me. Can one of you test it, in case the website is down?

Storm Petrel

admin
    Keymaster

Yep, it’s down. I believe Jasper manages it, I saw him posting on the forums here a while back.

Space. The final frontier.

Chessking
    Participant

IronDuke probably has it. Maybe it could be uploaded to the downloads section here since it has such modding potential.

Storm Petrel

admin
    Keymaster

One of the files is still up on the Internet Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080529005744/http://pointless.net/eoc/

Space. The final frontier.

Chessking
    Participant

That’s it! Thank you!

Storm Petrel

Chessking
    Participant

I have now opened the Storm Petrel file. Wow, there’s a lot of extra lines there. I think I can sort them out if necessary, though.

Storm Petrel

RichardSkinner
    Participant

cool, im going to open these up too, will be good starting points for higher res models. and also instant LOD0’s

also does any one else feel guilty when downloading things from the unity asset store? lol

The Priceline Negotiator

Chessking
    Participant

I don’t feel guilty when downloading from the asset store. All I have downloaded are various tree and texture packs. I have only done one tutorial, the Roll-a-Ball tutorial, and have since expanded on it greatly. I have played around with a couple of other things, building landscapes with some things from the asset store. I suppose if I downloaded space ships and such that I could have made on my own, I might feel guilty.

Storm Petrel

Chessking
    Participant

Once you open a ship in Blender, set navigation to walk navigation. You can actually “walk” through your ship. kind of cool.

Storm Petrel

RichardSkinner
    Participant

that’s a cool idea, to have the bigger corvettes and stuff you can fly, have an interior where you can walk around, like the Normandy from mass effect.

It would be tough tying it into the actual gameplay, but it would be a cool easter egg.

The Priceline Negotiator

Chessking
    Participant

IronDuke has thought about this too. He thought about boarding ships and stations, manual repairs, etc.

Storm Petrel

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.