I war-2 revamp unity 3d

Home Forums 3D Modeling I war-2 revamp unity 3d

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    RichardSkinner
    Participant

So, this is something I started a while back as a hobby and stalled out. But recently I have developed an itch to work on it again and I think this will be a good place to post progress to keep me engaged so it doesn’t die again.

I am trying to rebuild Edge Of Chaos in the Unity 3d engine pixel for pixel. The plan will be to eventually replace the art with custom stuff but keep how the universe works and expand upon it. But for now I just want to recreate EOC but bring it up to speed with modern visuals.

I am more of an artist then a coder, my cousin and google help me with the c# but for the most part I am doing everything myself.

I am at work so I don’t have any of my files to post except for a crappy xray render test for the target status UI screen (the one in the upper right corner when playing).

OldCorvette_Icon.jpg

I am currently trying to solve the problem of containing 10 billion kilometers in a single unity scene. I am using a cube for the player and spheres for the planets so it may be a little while before I have any finished art assets to show.

If anyone has any game dev experience that can offer suggestions feel free to post them, as well as art assets, I can plug them in and eventually build a small scene where you can fly that little flitter around Hoffers Wake 2.0 B)

The Priceline Negotiator

RichardSkinner
    Participant

And to elaborate on the idea of modernizing the game, take that corvette model example, when you change your loadout, that ship will visually change more. More custom looking weapon pods (i.e. you will be able to tell the difference between a twinpack and a quadpack), more command section options, when you change the thrusters the engine part will change.

Images to come soon.

The Priceline Negotiator

RichardSkinner
    Participant

An early game quality concept of the hanger with some activity.

the meshes are game quality but I am using vray to render, I would like to try to make some high res renders at some point for some cool shots

The idea I had for the game was to have a real time ship fitting system, instead of text based. You would select the ship you wanted to fly and it would undock and fly up to the fitting arm so you could see how the different loadouts would look on your ship

Attachments:
    • early-hanger-concept-1.jpg

The Priceline Negotiator

IronDuke
    Participant

Ah, a competitor! 😛 I’m also using Unity for my space game, and have a couple years of experience with it now. Currently, I’m working on a method of containing, as you said, 10 billion kilometers in a single scene. One way to do it would be to use double or even quad precision floats, instead of singles. However, that would mean a painful lot of coding, including either coding your own physics engine from scratch, or modding the Unity engine itself, both of which prospects make me go :sick:. Another way, which I’m investigating now and is in fact how Particle systems did it, is to keep the player near world co-ordinates 0,0,0, by either sliding everything around him to simulate his movement (costly!), or bump everything backwards when he gets outside x distance from the center. (Also costly, but only when bumping.)

By the way, that picture was done using the overdraw, correct?

–IronDuke

I-War 2 Discord: https://discord.gg/RWaabWB
    Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. 🙂

RichardSkinner
    Participant

Well I don’t want to say im competeing lol, because I am still quite novice, I am doing it to gain experience with Unity, and I chose EOC because I thought that would be fun and keep my interest.

At first I dabbled with what they used for kerbal space program where everytime you traveled a certain distance it would snap the entire world (and the origin) to the player. long story short it solved some problems while creating others.

my plan B is to have the star system (i.e. all the planets, stars, and triggers for spawning the interactible locations) be attached to the player, always moving away from the player, but at 99.99% the rate of speed, and the player would also be translating at a much slower speed.. if that makes sense. its hard to describe in words. I have an illustration in my sketchbook to help me. A lot of smoke and mirrors.

The picture is not in unity, Its in 3ds max and vray. I have unity footage but its nothing special thus far.

The Priceline Negotiator

RichardSkinner
    Participant

another shot, just fooling around in Max while drinkin a beer.

The earth is 3d, maps taken from NASA’s website. I would like to play around with adding SOL to the game. Maybe you would fine super advanced, futuristic tech there since the Badlands gets the dregs of the all the colonies.

Attachments:
    • early-old-corvette-concept-1.jpg

The Priceline Negotiator

Chessking
    Participant

I have also been using Unity. My current project is building a prototype model of an alien ship I designed for my idea of an I-War 3 with Blender.

I am trying to rebuild Edge Of Chaos in the Unity 3d engine pixel for pixel.

So all of the dimensions are exact. I have been wondering how to do this, and I would like some advice. What astounds me about Duncan Day’s paper models is how accurate they are. I would consider designing my own models (Storm Petrel!) if I knew how to get the dimensions of each face right.

I am more of an artist then a coder, my cousin and google help me with the c# but for the most part I am doing everything myself.

I am a coder! Javascript. Also, the Unity environment is much different from the environment I am used to. I need to watch more Unity tutorials and get this figured out.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don’t give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

RichardSkinner
    Participant

“I would consider designing my own models (Storm Petrel!) if I knew how to get the dimensions of each face right.”

you mean paper models or 3d models? The encyclopedia has all the ship sizes in meters.
    The funny issue I had with trying to recreate some of these ships was all the references from the game are so low poly that it leaves a lot of room for interpretation when trying to make these things high detailed. So they will never be truly accurate, unless I want them to look like paper models in the game lol.

The Priceline Negotiator

Chessking
    Participant

I meant paper models. But I didn’t mean just ship dimensions, but the dimensions and angles of each poly in the ship model.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don’t give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

RichardSkinner
    Participant

First of all, IronDuke, I want to correct myself. That first picture of the old corvette was in overdraw.. I was confused/dumb in I hadnt played around in unity in almost a year was confused in what you were asking.

Second, I made a cool script (in my mind) that generates a random combination of pods (type a,b,c or no pod) which will have random contents every time a cargo ship spawns.

The hard part is going to have them know where they are spawining and spawn cargo accordingly. For example a transport spawning at a hospital station will have the chance of hauling anything, but a greater probibility of hauling hospital goods like clone bone tissue and drug leaches…

p.s. raw sewage for the win!

Attachments:
    • cargo.jpg

The Priceline Negotiator

Chessking
    Participant

What is this overdraw? It looks useful.

Storm Petrel

IronDuke
    Participant

@RichardSkinner – I thought so, it just looks like overdraw.
    p.s. You never can have too much raw sewage. If you stuff it in your PBCs, its smell when fired can send the enemy running in terror. 👿

@Chessking
    – I’m not quite sure how overdraw works, but I know what it does. As you can see from the picture, it basically renders everything including what should be obscured, such as the bottoms of the missile mags, but the obscured stuff is rendered in a lighter color co you know it’s normally obscured. Combined with wireframe, it’s perfect for a multi-function display; You know, in the top left in I-War2’s HUD it shows the target ship.
    Also, if you’ve ever played CnC3, units behind buildings, cliffs, or other units are rendered in overdraw so you still know where they are and can still click on them.
    And you’re right, it is very useful.

–IronDuke

I-War 2 Discord: https://discord.gg/RWaabWB
    Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. 🙂

Chessking
    Participant

So what I need now is a link to Overdraw. When I do a Google search, it comes up with pages about overdrawing bank accounts, so it’s kind of hard to find. Another thing I would like to do is open the models from Independence War 2. There are two problems I have. One is that I do not know which files actually hold the model. Second, I do not know how to open them without Lightwave.

Storm Petrel

RichardSkinner
    Participant

You can create something similar using the –>Lagacy Shaders–>Transparent–>VertexLit material

for the main color set it to black and the alpha at 50%ish

the spec color set to black

and emissive color set to whatever color you want

overdraw.jpg

if your using it for a UI screen just create a seperate camera pointing at it, have it render on top of your main camera, and cull everyting except your ship. This is probibly how EOC did it. every targetible gameobject had its own camera attached to it and it would just toggle on/off are you move through your contact list

The Priceline Negotiator

Chessking
    Participant

I see now. Overdraw is a technique, not a program. Thanks!

Storm Petrel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.