No instructions for how to install mods

Home Forums i-war2.com Development No instructions for how to install mods

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Pizack
    Participant

Longtime on and off again iwar2 player. Never tried any mods. Downloaded some from the site today (thanks for keeping it up, you’re a true fan if there ever was one!).

It doesn’t say anywhere that I’ve found how to install the mods. I’m sticking the RARs in the mods folder, wish me luck 🙂

-p

Chessking
    Participant

You shouldn’t have RAR files. Most mods are in zip format. Can you tell me which mod you are trying to use?

This is one tough navy, boy. They don’t give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

Pizack
    Participant

You’re right, I was just using RAR as shorthand for “compressed file,” which was silly.

Tossing the zips in the mods folder did the trick, thanks! I’m off to liberate some cargo.

admin
    Keymaster

I’m planning to do a beginners guide for new users with the most important information – for example, the most useful mods, how to install them and how to get around some of the problems on new Windows versions.

If you have any suggestions for that, just reply 😉

Space. The final frontier.

Slax
    Participant

Hi at all,

i have the same problems with the mods.
    At first, thanks for your great job on this Site. The game is old but the best in this Genre. I love it 🙂

Now i want to use some Mods, but my English is to bad and i use the google translate.

@schmatzler: WÀre es möglich das du mir im deutschen beschreibst wie ich die Mods:
    -Multimod
    -Movies 16:9
    -Colossus
    -custom jafs
    -Future trader
    …richtig installiere und einstelle?

Many thanks for your Helps

admin
    Keymaster

Hallo Slax,

das Installieren von Mods ist eigentlich relativ einfach – die meisten Mods sind in einer ZIP-Datei. Die kopierst du in das Verzeichnis

Programme/Infogrames/Edge of Chaos – Indepedence War 2/mods/

Danach kannst du die Mods im Spiel aktivieren.

Manche Mods haben zusÀtzliche Einstellungsmöglichkeiten. Fast jeder Mod hat zusÀtzlich eine .html-Datei in der ZIP-Datei, in der diese Optionen drinstehen.

Zum Beispiel kann man bei “Custom Jafs” einige Optionen in die flux.ini eintragen, um einzustellen wie sehr Jafs die Klappe halten soll oder welchen Frachter er fliegt.

Ich hoffe es hilft.

English:
    [spoiler]Installing mods is pretty simple – most of the mods come in a ZIP file. This ZIP file has to be copied to the directory:

Program Files/Infogrames/Edge of Chaos – Indepedence War 2/mods/

After that, the mods can be activated in the game menu.

Some of the mods have additional configuration options. Nearly every mod has an .html file included in the ZIP file, where all these options are explained.

Let’s take an example: “Custom Jafs” has some options that can be entered into the flux.ini – these options regulate how much Jafs is talking or which freighter he should be flying.

I hope it helps.[/spoiler]

Gruß,
    schmatzler

Slax
    Participant

Hallo schmatzler,

vielen dank fĂŒr deine Antwort.

Funktionieren die Mods auch bei bestehenden SpielstÀnden?

Gibt es Mods die du aus deiner Erfahrung empfehlen kannst?

Gruß

admin
    Keymaster

Das weiß ich nicht, hier macht der Versuch kluch, wĂŒrde ich sagen 😉

Ich benutze nur 3 Mods. Custom Jafs (damit er ein grĂ¶ĂŸeres Schiff hat), Location Finder (weil ich nie die Orte finde zu denen ich fliegen soll) und No Launch Sequence, weil ich nicht jedes Mal die doofen Abflugvideos sehen will.

Ansonsten die Widescreen-Ingame-Movies, die sind allerdings auf Englisch (vielleicht wandle ich meine deutschen mal um, wenn ich Lust habe).

Lux_Tenebreque
    Participant

[quote=”schmatzler” post=19381]Hallo Slax,

das Installieren von Mods ist eigentlich relativ einfach[/quote]

Wenns nicht klappt: Die Rechteverwaltung von neueren Windows-Versionen schrÀnkt den (Schreib-)Zugriff des Programms aufs eigene Verzeichnis, und damit die Config-Datei, in der die Mods aktiviert werden, ein.
    KompatibilitÀtsmodus kann das wieder hinbiegen.

IronDuke
    Participant

Argh, I am learning German as a language elective in high school, but I can still only catch one word in five. :pinch:
    Guess I’ll have to work harder at it.
    Here’s my feeble attempt at a German reaction.
    Ich kenne nicht!!

–IronDuke

I-War 2 Discord: https://discord.gg/RWaabWB
    Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. 🙂

admin
    Keymaster

Good to know, that the UAC of Windows has gotten worse in newer versions. And I thought, this couldn’t happen. -.-

I will rework the Technical FAQ soon and add all this stuff.

Lux_Tenebreque
    Participant

I think it’s a problem with making the UAC more user friendly – instead of a “no way”-message it tries to work transparently in the background. Combine that with the hierarchical permission inheritance(eg launching the program via autoplay can get you rules different from starting it from the start menu or a 3rdy part file manager.) for additional confusion – and all you notice is some program forgetting it’s settings after a restart.
    Well, compatibility mode gave me the intended behavior, it might solve other Bermuda-triangle problems as well. 🙂

7upMan
    Participant

[quote=”Lux_Tenebreque” post=19390][quote=”schmatzler” post=19381]Hallo Slax,

das Installieren von Mods ist eigentlich relativ einfach[/quote]

Wenns nicht klappt: Die Rechteverwaltung von neueren Windows-Versionen schrÀnkt den (Schreib-)Zugriff des Programms aufs eigene Verzeichnis, und damit die Config-Datei, in der die Mods aktiviert werden, ein.
    KompatibilitÀtsmodus kann das wieder hinbiegen.[/quote]

Noch einfacher wĂ€re es aber, ein Spiel gar nicht erst unter C:Programme zu installieren. Ich weiß, dass nicht jeder ein zweites Laufwerk hat, aber bei mir sind die Spiele grundsĂ€tzlich unter D:Games… installiert (das geht natĂŒrlich auch unter C:). Da brauche ich auch keine zusĂ€tzlichen VerrĂ€nkungen.

—–

I recommend installing games not under “C:Program Files” but under “C:Games” or a similar directory. Otherwise, you can expect compatibility issues.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.