IronDuke’s Patch

Home Forums Mods and POG Scripting IronDuke’s Patch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    IronDuke
    Participant

Sort of a side project, since ten of those clearly aren’t enough. :silly: It’s mostly done already. I just figured I’d slap together all the resources, do some coding, and pop it out there.
    Basically, this very unofficial patch is gonna fix all the bugs I’m capable of fixing.

Bugs I know of and will fix
    -Police patcom has only 1 PBC due to a numbering error in the .ini file.
    -Heavy destroyer’s collisionhull is 50% too small, due to the 3d model simply being scaled incorrectly.
    -Many capital ship turrets are upside down.
    -Mission 8: Corporate Holdings is notorious for bad crashes shortly after the fighting starts. I’m gonna completely rewrite the mission. It’s a simple one, so it should be easy, just time-consuming. Turns out it’s not possible. See this post for a workaround that usually does the trick.
    -Light PBC bolt has a mass of 100 when all the other weapons have a mass of < 0.001. Bugs I know of and can't/won't fix -Jackson's Yard; the dialogue doesn't always start up. There's already a patch for this. If you guys could tell me about all the bugs you know besides the ones listed, that'd be great and I'll take a crack at those too. --IronDuke

I-War 2 Discord: https://discord.gg/RWaabWB
    Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. πŸ™‚

IronyMan
    Participant

I had noticed the issue with the destroyer collision hull. I’ll definitely jump at this patch; do you have an estimated time frame for completion?

Good luck!

IronDuke
    Participant

By the end of the month. If I get lucky and get some spare time soon, maybe long before then.

–IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. πŸ™‚

IronDuke
    Participant

Well… In order to see whether I had rotated the heavy cruiser’s turrets correctly, I made a mod that changes the Instant Action tug to a heavy cruiser. Which would explain where those stray two hours yesterday went… :blush: It was so hilarious, taking on two heavy destroyers and not receiving a single hit through the shields.

Anyway, the heavy cruiser’s turrets are correctly rotated now, making it capable of putting three gatling guns on a target at any given time. Or three per target when you have one ship in each quarter, take your pick. B)

Sometime soon I’ll upload the mod for changing the IA tug to a heavy cruiser so you guys can get lazy with your piloting. πŸ˜›

In the meantime, I gotta fix the turrets on the Danube cruiser and the carrier now, but that should be it. Then I can rewrite that mission and I’m done. πŸ™‚

–IronDuke

IronyMan
    Participant

Aw yiss. I can’t wait. I love dodging around the heavy cruisers. I tried out your AI improvement mod, but their target leading still isn’t good enough to hit the Petrel.

I wish I could edit the Instant Action package to change all the enemies to capital ships…

Which ship do you typically use?

7upMan
    Participant

IronDuke, there was another mission that caused a lot of issues, I think it was Wolf’s Lair (or something like that). Can you fix that mission, too?

Admin Edit: Offtopic split off. (Since the forum software is garbage, the answer to this post is here.)

IronDuke
    Participant

Going through a rather dark period; it may be a while before I can get back to any dev work whatsoever.

–IronDuke

7upMan
    Participant

I wish you good luck to resolve whatever issues there are. Keep your head up!

IronDuke
    Participant

Right, I sorted things out and got back to work. However, I ran into a major problem with the mission scripting. Basically, each mission has its own title, but is referred to by a different one within the code. Because the script that handles each act uses this internal name, any mission in an act needs to be coded using this internal name. For example, one mission in act 1 is called “Showdown” but the internal name is “g_act1_saved_hoffers_wake.”

Unfortunately, there’s no way to determine what the internal name is for each mission without having access to the source code for either the act handler or the individual mission. I only happen to know the internal names of three missions because their wource files were included in the pog scripting SDK that Stephen Robertson wrote. Because of this whole thing, I cannot rewrite the Corporate Holdings mission. πŸ™ I could conceivably just rewrite the entire act script, but I’d have to rewrite the others and every single mission in the game. It’s not worth it.

Ah well. Back to rearranging turret positions for now, I guess.

–IronDuke

P.S. Here’s a tip for those who want to get past the Corporate Holdings mission.
    [spoiler]Enable Massacre mod. When the enemy ships show up, use the mod to instanuke them. Position yourself at the L-Point, ready to jump. Once the freighters have jumped, do so yourself back to the waypoint as quickly as possible. When Jarvis turns up, you get your reward. There are only two “crash points” as far as I can tell. 1. When the combat is running. 2. When the freighters have jumped but you haven’t yet. Anytime during either of these situations, the game may crash, so minimize that time.[/spoiler]

7upMan
    Participant

Well, thank you for your trying. I dunno, maybe Stephen Robertson reads this and could have a look in his files. I’ll be sure to poke him.

IronyMan
    Participant

Hoy Ironduke, I’ve been stuck on that mission for some time; keeps crashing as soon as the marauders appear. I’ll give the massacre mod a try. Thanks!

IronDuke
    Participant

[quote=”7upMan” post=20576]Well, thank you for your trying. I dunno, maybe Stephen Robertson reads this and could have a look in his files. I’ll be sure to poke him.[/quote]
    That may work. I really doubt he reads these forums, but he’s been successfully contacted before on the matter of the directX 8 patch, so he’s not lost forever. πŸ˜› I don’t know if he’s got his mission scripts laying around though; they were property of Particle Systems and he probably never had copies of them on his personal computer.

–IronDuke

IronDuke
    Participant

I’m so sorry it took so long. Here it is.

–IronDuke

Attachments:

Chessking
    Participant

So I am working on testing the mod. And so far, I haven’t found anything different. Here is how I am testing it. I have your mod, Multimod, and Beuuty Shots in the mods folder. Beauty Shots is set to display the Carrier. I launch Beauty Shots with your mod active, and the turret on the back of the carrier is still upside down. Also, I set Beauty Shots to display the Navy Guillotine Destroyer, and launch it with your mod active, and the collisionhull is still too small. Same with the police interceptor; it still has one PBC. I must be missing something, but what is it? It could be a problem with Beauty Shots, but I can’t spend more time testing that right now.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don’t give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

IronDuke
    Participant

Oooh, a bug to fix! :cheer:

I’ll check on it immediately. B)

Edit: Right, some questions right off the bat. Seems for beauty shots, you copy a sim that you want into the sim folder of the mod. Did you copy the ones from my patch or from the original game files?
    It’s entirely possible that my patch ain’t gonna be working with beauty shots. Have you tried it in Instant Action?

–IronDuke

P.S. :silly:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.