Creating a simple mod, not sure how to get started

Home Forums Mods and POG Scripting Creating a simple mod, not sure how to get started

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jaggardos
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m working on a simple mod that basically replaces most of the sound effects with ones that sound more realistic, meaning if there is an explosion in space, it doesn’t sound like its on earth, I’ve made them more muffled, because its in space…a bit like in Battlestar Galactica or Firefly. I’ve created all the sounds and would like to know how to now put them in the game. I tried unzipping the resource zip, replacing the sounds, then zipping it back up but that causes the game to not work. Is there a simpler way… or a way I can inject maybe?
    Thanks

jaggardos
    Participant

Just noticed I put this in the completely wrong forum catagory, woops :blink:

Chessking
    Participant

Did the names of any files change?

This is one tough navy, boy. They don’t give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

cambragol
    Participant

Hi jaggardos,

If you are replacing sound effects, you need to put them into a folder that contains matching filepaths/folders names as the original resources. Then give this folder a name, and put it into the mods directory in your i-war2 install. Lastly you need an .ini file and .html file in that folder, to activate your mod, and give it an info screen in game.

Refer to an existing mod for guidance as well. I will attach the most basic of mods, the crosshair mod, which lays this all out for you.

You can also zip up your folder as well, and just drop that into the mods directory, like the crosshair mod I have attached.

Attachments:

[center][url=”http://www.torn-stars.com”][img]http://www.torn-stars.com/images/testsig.gif[/img][/url][/center]

jaggardos
    Participant

No file name changes, just took the sounds, edited them ready to be dropped back into the game.
    Thanks cambragol, lots of help, I’ll try out what you’ve said. Is there somewhere I can post this mod if it works? I know the game is over a decade old but meh, still one of the most fun games I’ve ever played!

Chessking
    Participant

When you get it working, and the file is small enough, just upload it into this thread. If not, you can use Google Sites or Dropbox.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don’t give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

jaggardos
    Participant

Thanks, pretty sure its working. Only issue is just some small clicks here and there but other than that I feel the game is more immersive with this mod.
    Couldn’t upload, so here is dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7g4aar6dqyr33jf/audio_overhaul.zip?dl=0
    Made a demo video here: http://youtu.be/PsIzPaSIyK8

Chessking
    Participant

Nice! I’ll be sure to use it.

Storm Petrel

7upMan
    Participant

Beautiful! Now if you only could get rid of the crackling noise, that would be great. Did you check if you are using the same sample rate/frequency as the original files? Are you using variable bitrate for the sound files? This often caused problems with legacy players back in the day.

jaggardos
    Participant

Yeah I know, I’m a sound student so I know about this stuff :cheer: just being lazy. Its mainly the LDS loop and a couple of the pbc sounds that are the most annoying, will look at them at some point

cambragol
    Participant

Sounds good! Although I loved the vanilla LDS sound effect, it can grate on ones ears after hundreds and hundreds of flights. A softening of the sound is a welcome change.

I didn’t notice, but did your mod eliminate sounds for ‘external’ events, and limit things to the player ship only? I don’t know whether that would be possible, without creating an entire set of effects/items for the player that do not cross-over with NPC effects/items.

[center][url=”http://www.torn-stars.com”][img]http://www.torn-stars.com/images/testsig.gif[/img][/url][/center]

7upMan
    Participant

You just gave ma an idea: jaggardos, would it be possible to strongly muffle or even completely block the sound of external explosions and replace it with some static crackling and some crackling sound on the hull?

I’ll explain: My thinking goes along the lines that whenever a ship explodes, there is also an electro-magnetic reaction due to the exploding reactor. That would explain the static crackling. Also, there would be micro-debris that would clutter against your hull.

Now feel free to tell be if my idea is not feasible (or just plain stupid ^^), but maybe you’ll like it.

jaggardos
    Participant

Cambragol: I know what you mean, unfortunately, if I’m next to an npc ship and they fire up their LDS, I can hear it, and I don’t think that’s changeable without some script modification to stop them making that noise, same goes for weapon sounds when they are close.

7upMan: I’ll give it a go, its a good idea. The explosions are already heavily muffled, I wrote in the description of the video that it would make the game boring if you removed ALL sound that wasn’t inside the ship, so I just dulled everything. Thinking about the debris, it would be difficult as, if you think about it, if a ship explodes near you, the debris would happen almost instantaneously, whereas if it exploded far away, it would either be a short delay, or nothing at all. Unfortunately there can only be one sound for all situation, and so I don’t think it would be possible to cover that man, sorry 🙁

7upMan
    Participant

[quote=”jaggardos” post=19345]Cambragol: I know what you mean, unfortunately, if I’m next to an npc ship and they fire up their LDS, I can hear it, and I don’t think that’s changeable without some script modification to stop them making that noise, same goes for weapon sounds when they are close.[/quote]

Maybe the radio static would be a solution here as well? After all, they’ll surely generate a strong EM field when firing up their LDS. You know, as in different types of static in contrast to what you actually hear being propagated through the hull.

7upMan: Thinking about the debris, it would be difficult as, if you think about it, if a ship explodes near you, the debris would happen almost instantaneously, whereas if it exploded far away, it would either be a short delay, or nothing at all. Unfortunately there can only be one sound for all situation, and so I don’t think it would be possible to cover that man, sorry 🙁

I know, I came to that conclusion the instant I had hit the Submit button. ;-P

Anyway, maybe cambragol, being as knowledgeable as he is, can tell if if would be feasible to a) input a distance meter into the game’s engine that calculates the distance as well as the trajectory of the ships and b) muffle and delay the debris crackling sound (via sound shader?) according to the calculations of the distance meter?

I have no idea if I-War 2 can work with sound shaders at all. I know Doom 3 could, and that’s roughly from the same time period, but they are very different games.

jaggardos
    Participant

Maaaaan it was only meant to be a simple mod, hence the title 😉 But yeah, if someone can pull that out their hat then go for it, I can only do the sound stuff as opposed to the programming stuff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.