Converting EoC models to FBX

Home Forums 3D Modeling Converting EoC models to FBX

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    laurens
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Recently I stumbled upon the PSO to Lightwave converter and it is awesome. I am importing the models in Blender and exporting them to FBX for use in Unreal Engine 4. The models come across excellent, it is the textures I am having some trouble with.

I convert the textures for the ship to PNG using Photoshop and making sure they are properly aligned as described in the Skinning Primer. However, even though I have multiple UV maps in Blender and a multitude of materials, I do not seem to be able to texture the entire model. It is as if the UV maps are incorrect or missing.

Has someone been able to get a complex model, such as a ship, properly textured in Blender? If so, any advice on how to treat the different UV maps, materials and textures in Blender would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chessking
    Participant

Richard Skinner and I have both tried to tackle this problem. I have also tried importing SketchUp models through Blender. In the case of SketchUp, it seems the .mat files were renamed to /*filename*/.mat.meta. I think the problem may lie here, as Blender seems to recognize the existence of the textures and their grouping structure (which faces they apply to). Both Richard Skinner and I have had more important things to work on and have not directly solved the problem, but their is another solution. Schmatzler was working on retexturing a model in this thread:

http://www.i-war2.com/forum/3d-modeling/3191-retexturing-the-dreadnaught?limitstart=0

Also, here is here Richard Skinner and I were discussing textures:

http://www.i-war2.com/forum/3d-modeling/3181-i-war-2-revamp-unity-3d?limitstart=0

This is one tough navy, boy. They don’t give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

laurens
    Participant

I was afraid of that. I tried Lightwave as well and it will load the models properly, but when I export them to FBX, it exports every UV map as a separate material (sometime as many as 64) and when imported in Unreal Engine 4, it will refuse to display more than 8 because that is the limit of Shader Model 5. How does Unity get around this limit?

Chessking
    Participant

Here‘s some info for you to look over. If necessary, a program called Irfanview is excellent for converting images from one file type to another.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don’t give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.