Act 2 – Backdoor to Mwari

Home Forums Missions Act 2 – Backdoor to Mwari

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    NugentS
    Participant

Guys,

I am playing this game again on a nice modern computer under XP and it seems to run fine (with occasional pauses).

However playing this mission and the game just crashes. I arrive in the system, take out the mines and (normally) take out the corvettes after the friendly freighters arrive. However at some point, before getting out the view changes and then the game crashes…

Is there a way of editing the savegame / marking the mission as complete so I can get past this issue which is annoying the hell out of me… I have tried reinstalling, repatching, removing mods etc – but nothing seems to work.

I could I suppose download a savegame – but I have put a lot of work into err rubbish collection and cleaning up the spaceways that I would not like to loose (I guess Maas really can’t like me).

Sean

Actium
    Participant

This bug also appears to be affecting EoC running under Wine on Linux, but I just figured out a reliable workaround:

1.) Jump from Pestur to Dadgda Alpha Prime to trigger the mission
    2.) Immediately jump back to Pestur without destroying the mines
    3.) Wait in Pestur for the mission to complete (the “destroy mines” objective will fail, but the remaining objectives will complete and Jarvis will thank you)

That’s it. Tried it twice and worked both times.

IronDuke
    Participant

:O I had not thought of this method! Nice discovery! 😉

I-War 2 Discord: https://discord.gg/RWaabWB
    Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. 🙂

Actium
    Participant

I just stumbled upon this by chance, when I jumped to Dagda’s main L-point by accident and noticed that the mission started and objectives (except for the final one) got completed in rapid succession without having jumped to Dagda Alpha Prime. With that observation, figuring out the workaround was not difficult.

@schmatzler: Maybe it’s worth it to add this workaround to the FAQ to make sure no one playing this game will get stuck on it. I’d write a paragraph you could add, if you’re interested.

Actium
    Participant

My somewhat educated guess would place the bug related to an external library. When I first played the game 12+ years ago on Windows XP, I’ve completed the mission hassle-free. Ever since Windows Vista (or 7?) and now even on Linux with Wine, the bug occurred reliably, with the EoC executable being identical.

Don’t waste your time trying to debug an almost two decade old application, it would be much better spent on your remake 😉

IronDuke
    Participant

I think everyone who plays the game encounters this bug at some point. It is fortunate that it’s not a mission particularly relevant to the plot.

Man, I’d give a lot to be able to properly debug it. I’m dying to know what causes it XD Out of all the various tasks of a programmer, debugging is for me the most fascinating by far.

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. 🙂

IronDuke
    Participant

XD well, I haven’t actually even fired up the game in quite a long time. When I’m not at school or playing World of Warships or KSP, I do spend my time on the remake 😉

admin
    Keymaster

[quote=”Actium” post=20713]@schmatzler: Maybe it’s worth it to add this workaround to the FAQ to make sure no one playing this game will get stuck on it. I’d write a paragraph you could add, if you’re interested.[/quote]
    Hello,
    sorry for the late reply. Damn real life. 😛

I will add a paragraph to the FAQ, if you write something up. 😉

Space. The final frontier.

IronDuke
    Participant

THIS ONE SIMPLY TRICK CAN PREVENT CATASTROPHE TO YOUR GAME!!!

how’s dat 😉

Actium
    Participant

So I finally got to “writing it up”. I don’t know if you need HTML, so I just copy’n’pasted from the FAQ to hopefully make your life easier:

Act 2 - Mission 8 Corporate Holdings
    Q. My game crashes during this mission. What to do?
    A. Completing this mission is optional to the progression of Act 2.
    There are no known side-effects to not completing this mission.
    Alternatively, you can use the following workaround to complete the mission while avoiding the crash: Jump from Pestur to Dadgda Alpha Prime to trigger the mission, then immediately jump back to Pestur without destroying the mines. Wait in Pestur for the mission to complete (the "destroy mines" objective will fail, but the remaining objectives will complete and Jarvis will thank you).

I also wrote a small reference for the walkthrough:
    Mission 8 Corporate Holdings

Note: This mission may crash EoC. See the FAQ for a workaround.

Activation Info: System: Dagda Prerequisites: + You need to must complete Act Two Mission 18 to trigger this mission.

admin
    Keymaster

Thank you! I will add your solution this weekend. (Sorry, lot of time constraints right now…)

admin
    Keymaster

Added the solution now in the help section. Thanks for writing it up! 🙂

IronDuke
    Participant

One of those kind of weekends, eh?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.